Monday, June 30, 2008

Activity Log : GSoC Week #10 (23.VI - 29.VI)

I'll be short this time. The main issues solved last week:
  • done the part related with toggleing secure communication on during a call; both parties can do that regardless the fact they started the call unsecured
  • noticed a bug in the ZRTP init phase which occurs some times in the DH exchange and makes it hang (still must investigate why this appears)
  • tried to apply an older patch manually in order to be able to make a call without the presence of a registrar; see below for detailed info

The patch is based on splitting the ProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl functionality resulting in a more general AbstractProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl as a base class for ProtocoProviderServiceSipImpl (registrar mode) and ProtocolProviderServiceSipNoRegistrarImpl (no registrar mode). The selection of the implementation used is based on an option set for the specific AccountID which is used for making the subsequent calls. This option should probably be available in the account wizard somewhere as the original patch author Michael Koch wrote. For now I've added directly the option to the account properties map inside the code in the ProtocolProviderFactorySipImpl loadAccount method to see if the patch works - this means that all the accounts will use the no registrar option, but like I said is only to test the patch. The result is that the two new accounts I created for testing (one on my PC and one on my notebook), start as expected looking like normal registered ones (online and being able to make calls). Anyway, when I try to call one of them from the other, the endpoint that is alerted and starts ringing is the same that makes the call. This happens despite the fact that during a debug session the INVITE message seems to be perfectly fine (I'm not a SIP expert, but that's my impression and to be sure I've checked the standard once more). I've ran the debug step by step (except the JAIN SIP jar contained sources) until the ringing starts (which happens in the createOutgoingCall method inside the OperationSetBasicTelephonySipImpl class at inviteTransaction.sendRequest() - line 295), and all seems to be in order as much as I can tell, like I said, regarding the INVITE request. I'll probably should check again the patch and see if I didn't miss something, or to do a deeper check in the sources to see if it's not related with something modified since the patch was issued.

I didn't modify the sources on svn branch yet with the patch. I've applied it on a different local copy on my PC. I'm posting the no-registrar patched sip package and ProtocolProviderFactory source in the form they now are as a zip archive at this address:

http://students.info.uaic.ro/~eonica/sc/no-registrar.zip

Overriding them on the current date svn encryption branch sources should bring you to the no-registrar patched version status of SC I've reached.

2 comments:

RomainKuntz said...

Hi Emanuel,

Do not hesitate to ask on the ML to the original author (Mickael Koch) if he still has an updated version of his patch.

Cheers,
romain

E. O. said...

Thanks for the suggestion; as I added in the final of the mail I've sent about the subject in this blog entry, I've seen also some recent discussion on the mailing list about another patch related to a version for an AbstractProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl by Lubomir Marinov, that I should probably check and compare.