Monday, May 5, 2008

Activity Log : GSoC Week #02 (28.IV - 4.V)

Going on with the analysis phase :

- done reading SRTP RFC 3711 to get a deeper view into the standard aspects that are related to the key mangement issue

- decided to take a more detailed look, in addition to the quick overview I had in the evaluation phase, on the current SRTP implementation, before reading the ZRTP draft (due to the fact I have the RFC still fresh in my mind at this moment)

- tried to identify the main connection points with any key management solution in the standard and also to "map" them with the current implementation (still in progress for the 2nd part) - in rough lines essentially the main issue of the key management in relation with SRTP would be translated for the current implementation in providing the cryptographic context info contained in the CryptoContext class in a secure way; anyway there are still other problems to be considered according to the standard in relation with any key management solution, one of the most important being the moments when re-keying is triggered which is taken into consideration in various sections of the standard (8.1, 9.2, 11.3)

- got a bit deeper into the JMF API to see how the RTP flow is managed and actually intercepted in the SRTP implemention (in progress - still have to look a bit more to clear some issues) - need this especially in case of a ZRTP implementation which acts at RTP level too

Sorry for the quite quick description above, I'm writing in a hurry 'cause I need to get done some labs homework - have more notes on specific points in the RFC which might be of some interest. I'll be back with these or with other any important encountered issues the next week (when I'll be finished with the in progress sections above), in addition to the hopefully "ZRTP done reading" status.

PS: I noticed since the overview I took on the sources the lack for SRTCP support in the current implementation. It came back now, when I've looked again more in depth. For now, it should be more simple in the key management to support only the SRTP part existent at the moment, and I'm thinking to focus on that (for start at least), but there are some issues (like re-keying, which according to the RFC depend more or less on the SRTCP part) and I wonder if this would be a good approach for now (at least for the start as I said)...

Later edit (answering to me): Probably it will be more clear a bit later in the analysis phase (after I'll read the ZRTP draft) .

No comments: